AMV Idealab s.r.l. / ttattago.com / Antonino Bartuccio © 2019
The origins of the Tonnara di San Giorgio date back to ancient times, to be precise in 1060. As referred to by Gatani in his study Joyful in its origin and historical evolution, it was Count Ruggero d'Altavilla who donated to the Benedictine Monastery of Patti , besides the lands of Monte Meliuso, also the Tonnara of the territory of Gioiosa. The activity of the Tonnara, however, according to what reported by a decree of King Martino, dates back to 1407. From that moment the fishing and processing industry of tuna animated the seaside village of San Giorgio until 1973, the year of its definitive closure .
Punti di interesse